Wednesday, June 15, 2005

The Happiest Hour

Who doesn't like happy hour? It is a great way to unwind after work, it's usually cheap, and let's face it. If you have a drink (or two, or three), it turns into a really happy hour. My initial bond with the happy hour concept began in college. During my senior year, DS and I practically lived at the Acapulco in Westwood, feasting off of their nightly themes. There was Margarita Monday ($1.50 margaritas), Taco Tuesday (free tacos!), All Night Happy Hour Thursday (half price drinks all night--great for pre-partying before heading off to more expensive establishments), etc. And all items that weren't free or discounted because of the theme were half off! From 4-7pm! What fun!

So pretty much all of my sustenance during senior year came from chips, salsa, margaritas and whatever free tasty Mexican food items they lovingly served up in buffet style. Maybe I'm exaggerating slightly, but I'm serious about the fact that we were there ALL the time. DS even began dating one of the waitresses.

In the years since those Acapulco days, I've become a little distanced from "happy hour." I go here and there every now and then, without being a regular at any one place without any regular HH friends. The specials never seem as good as they once were and the food never as plentiful. I accepted this as a normal part of growing up, and classified my Acapulco memories as rare and precious.

So when JR suggested going to Tequila Jack's for Taco Tuesday, I scoffed a bit inside. Who doesn't have a taco Tuesday nowadays? Surely, it would be lame. Even Acapulco's happy hours aren't as good now--less food, more money (not even the purest good can escape Inflation). I thought maybe TJ's would have some cheap-ish tacos and a drink special, and perhaps it would last long enough for us to get a quick drink in before the deals ended. But regardless of whatever their little specials were gonna be, I knew a Taco Tuesday at this place could never compare with those glorious Acapulco happy hours of yore!

BUT, something wonderful happened. I discovered that Taco Tuesday at Tequila Jack's IS good and DOES compare with my memories of Acapulco. Here is why: 1) it lasts until 9pm. That's GREAT for those of us who now work for the man and can't start drinking at 4 like we all wish we could. 2) The tacos are GOOD and cost only $1 each (plus 4 different types of fillings to choose from--even a veggie option for people like myself). 3) It was easy to get a seat out on the water (ambiance), easy to get parking (free with validation), and the food came quickly. 4) There were many attractive young men around to gaze upon whilst feasting on this yummy cuisine. And finally, 5) I loved the salsa and because there was a salsa bar, you never had to wait for more.

And so it was with this little excursion to TJ's last night that the beauty of happy hour once again rushed upon me. Now I love TJs. Anyone want to go next Tuesday??

9 Comments:

Blogger Y. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Y. said...

Awww, this post brought back many memories of UCLA. I'm a little misty-eyed.

Long live Taco Tuesdays!

1:35 PM  
Blogger ka said...

how about next week we go to PH for happy hour (CS wants to do a celebration evening cuz school will be done) and the week after at TJs?

2:39 PM  
Blogger kq said...

Would it be ok if I invited myself? I've never really gone to HH because I can't get drunk (genetics), but I would have fun with you lovely ladies!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Follow the Frog said...

yeah PH on wednesday right? I'm up for it. But if anyone wants to do Taco Tuesday next week, I am also up for it. If not though...i'll be at Portfolio "doing homework" and checking out the guys.

KQ, yeah, come along! It will be fun.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Follow the Frog said...

yeah PH on wednesday right? I'm up for it. But if anyone wants to do Taco Tuesday next week, I am also up for it. If not though...i'll be at Portfolio "doing homework" and checking out the guys.

KQ, yeah, come along! It will be fun.

3:16 PM  
Blogger vitamin g said...

me want tacos on tuesday!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Follow the Frog said...

everyone needs more vitamin G in their life...come along too BANANA. ;)

9:56 AM  
Blogger Y. said...

If I'm free, I'd love to meet up!

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com