Friday, July 22, 2005

That Flighty Temptress, Adventure

Yesterday I spent 95 degree weather in the happiest place on earth. I didn't realize "happiest" could mean "hottest" too. But as always Disneyland was super fun. The whole day made me feel like a kid again and that doesn't happen too often. It's the Golden Anniversary at DL right now and we got to experience the updated Space Mountain. It's not all that different. But it did seem a little bit longer and a little bit faster so that the end was filled with whizzing speed, dizzying darkness, screams, and a craziness that only a roller-coaster can provide. A kind of craziness that leaves you laughing. It's not too often that I find myself in complete and utterly un-self-conscious moments of glee. Where your mouth is wide open with half-screams and half-laughs, and for just one moment, nothing else matters but that single experience. Life just doesn't give that kind of a thrill anymore. It was really nice.

I love DL so much, that yesterday I bought a Deluxe Season pass. If a year of virtually unlimited access to the happiest place on earth doesn't lift my spirits, I'm not sure what can. In thinking about the year ahead, I started wondering about which land I like best. As a child, it was always hands-down Fantasy Land. I am a big kid at heart. A big Disney kid at heart. My favorite ride in the park is Peter Pan. Dumbo still makes me cry. I have to hug any Pooh Bear I pass. I am still drawn to fluffy pink tulle things and when I see a tiara, I want to wear it in hopes that one day I actually will become a princess. Carousels make me smile and the lanterns that reside over the tea-cup ride are one of the most magical sights. Yes, I'm a big kid at heart and part of me still believes in fairy tales. Part of me still wants to end things all "happily ever after."

While Fantasy Land is my favorite land, overall, if I had to pick my favorite land as an adult it would be Adventure Land. Adventure Land symbolizes the only remaining true adventures for adults. Rainforests, exotic countries, strange animals. Now that we know people can't fly (even with glittery dust sprinkled upon your head and shoulders), that mermaids can't sing, and that princesses can't sleep until awoken by a charming (and single) prince...far away places with strange things are all we got left.

But both lands represent adventure--adventure in worlds where there is magic and adventure in worlds where there is the unknown. And this brings me to my main point: I like adventure. I want more of it. That's what Cancun will be. That's what the Peace Corps will be if I ever get the balls to go forward with it. That's what Africa will be when I do an overland journey from Cairo to Capetown (when I have 6 months of vacation and $30,000 extra lying around). That's what climbing Mount Kilamanjaro will be.

Until then, Disneyland and books like Harry Potter have to be enough.

In honor of all the fun, surprising adventures left out in the world just waiting for discovery, only the wise words of Dumbledore apply: "Let us now go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."

5 Comments:

Blogger Y. said...

You are such a great writer. I really loved this post too.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Follow the Frog said...

thanks Y. It was fun writing it!

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been tossing the Peace Corps idea around myself. Nothing serious, but if I have no job offers and DT breaks up with me, then I'd seriously consider it...

2:12 PM  
Blogger kq said...

Seriously, ML, you ARE a good writer! We're actually looking to hire a freelance temp writer, in case you're interested.... :) You could work with KA, G, and me! How fun would that be?!?!

Thanks for quoting Dumbledore at the end. Your post title sounded so familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it.

The most fun thing to do in DL is to ride Mulholland Madness with G's brother, Vitatwin. He giggles the whole time, it's HILARIOUS.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Follow the Frog said...

KQ, are you serious about the free-lance temp writer thing?? I would DEFINITELY be interested.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com