Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Welcome to my Blog!

So when I first heard about blogs, I honestly didn't understand the point. But after spending my afternoon attempting to appear busy at work (while reading the blogs of my more experienced blogging friends), I finally started to understand how cool and fun they can be. After reading YN's and CH's blog, I feel like I understand more about what's going on in their lives. And so now I want to share stuff that's going on in mine too! Also, it's an easier way to keep up a journal type thing, something I've never been good at.

So, for my first posting, I am going to explain why my BLOG is called "Follow the Frog". I recently went to Puerto Rico (henceforth known as PR) where my friends and I rented a car so that we could explore more of the island. I am generally a pretty good navigator in foreign places, but for some reason on this particular day in PR I couldn't get us to a particular rainforest. The entire island of PR is not that big and they only have one big rainforest, AND it's a part of a big, protected nature reserve so there are a lot of signs, literature, tourism linked to it. Still, I couldn't find it. After we'd driven for longer than we should have, my friends got more involved in helping figure out where we were and why we weren't there yet. We ended up going around in circles, literally, for over an hour through the mountains and fishing villages of eastern PR.

At one point, we noticed that we kept running into these little green signs, generally posted near highway signs, bearing the shape of a cute green frog. Through our extensive research we knew that the rainforest we were trying to find was famous for a certain type of tree frog. So naturally we thought "maybe these little frog signs lead to the rainforest!". During one particularly stressful moment, we were stopped at an intersection where MC asked a nearby driver which way to go. They indicated we should turn right. The frog sign suggested going left and we were in the left hand turn lane. The light changed and we had to act fast. All of us were tense with determination and none of us knew whether to trust the other driver or the signs. I turned to KD with what I imagine was a look of panic and said, "What should we do?" With much seriousness--something a little out of character--KD opened her eyes wider, nodded and said, "We should follow the frog." Something about the way she said this, in the moment we were in, with the frustration we were feeling was hilarious.
So we did follow the frog. Turns out the sign meant "scenic route." We figured that out when we came to a fork in the road with frogs pointing both right and left.

"Follow the Frog" has now come to mean anything from "go with the flow" to "take the scenic route." And I like both those messages!

The next couple of years are going to bring a lot of changes for me, and I feel like so much is up in the air right now. So for today, I am just going to "follow the frog."

2 Comments:

Blogger Y. said...

This is a FANTASTIC first post! I look forward to future posting.

I like your frog philosophy and aspire to follow the frog ... maybe all the way to Cabo? =)

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great tale, it's stuff like that makes life fun.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com