Thursday, June 30, 2005

Sleeping with the Slayer

On Saturday night, a group of us went to a White Party thrown by the Private in the LBC. It was nice hanging out in the Private's backyard, and I had a lot of fun playing with my newest toy, a small Nikon CoolPix (I am Nikon groupie now!). We took a lot of pictures, but it was fun because having everyone in white made it feel like a Tommy Hilfiger ad.

After carousing around the LBC until 3am, I was exhausted, drunk and hungry (I hadn't eaten dinner), and I thought it best to prepare a quick and healthy meal of morningstar veggie corndogs before going to sleep.

After creating my glorious meal, I went to bed and proceeded to watch some Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Now that all the good TV shows are on summer-break, I have been watching a little bit of The Slayer's third season each night and felt under the circumstances--like eating in bed--a little pre-sleep Buffy was in order. As I moved on to desert (TJ's cinnamon twists), I finished the end of an episode I started the night before, and navigated my way to the DVD splash screen to select the next episode. It must have been at this point that exhaustion overcame my love of Buffy and my love for the cinnamon twist.

I woke up 3 hours later with my glasses on, my remote in hand, the spooky-sounding DVD menu music looping over and over, and a cinnamon twist placed strategically on my chest. I guess even grown-ups can still "pass out" after drinking too much.

And all this brings me to a topic very near and dear to my heart: Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I don't tell lots of people about this, so many of you might not know, but this is my favorite TV show (well, next to Sex and the City. But if HBO ads are correct, than HBO is not TV and therefore Buffy IS my favorite show on television and SATC is something else entirely...).

I love Buffy because it is hilarious. It is loaded with lots of witty one-liners and dry-sarcastic humor. It is extremely well-written. And while the topic of "a vampire slayer" is one I too used to scoff at, I feel like the writers do a great job of not taking themselves too seriously. I mean, come on...we're talking about a super strong (yet tiny and beautifully proportioned) high school girl who has the strength of many men and who kills vampires after school. And you can't forget the fact that she falls in love with a vampire, the very thing she is destined to hate and hunt. Who thought the WB could be so Shakespearean? But regardless of the sappy storyline and clichéd plot structures, the show is enjoyable! Often times it is even symbolic enough to approach allegory where the vampires symbolize other evils in this world, like Republicans.

Here's a list of other reasons why Buffy is cool:
1) She's really strong
2) She always kicks a**.
3) She has an unending supply of original come-backs and one liners, seamlessly delivered to whatever big-bad she is fighting
4) Her boyfriend, Angel, is hot (and he even has a cool tattoo!)
5) She was always dressed fashionably and no matter how big the scuffle, she always came out of it looking cute and slightly flushed. (Flushed in the kind of way that makes you glow and not the kind of "flushed" that means a red face and sweat).

A couple of years ago, as part of the same fundraising event, I got to go back-stage on an episode of Angel (the spin-off series). I me the whole cast, except Angel, and everyone was nice, except Angel. It was great fun!

And so my friends and fellow bloggers, I used to make fun of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And I will admit I only started watching it by accident a few seasons in (Y knows, she was there!), it is my favorite show and I miss it. I only own one season on DVD but now I sort of want the rest....

P.S. This message is to Vitamin G's friend 5 by 5...I know where your name came from!!! Faith is my favorite good-character-gone-bad-gone-good!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

its always fun to have a "favorite" show. Just try explaining the concept to future kids!!! Can't wait to read after the 4th weekend adventures. TLC

8:19 AM  
Blogger vitamin g said...

yes, too few know the greatness of btvs (as it is called by us in the know). i too enjoyed all the witty banter and cool fighting scenes, though never much to ridicule from others since they were bigger nerds than i. i think everyone in some way is a nerd about something, there just happens to be very few "kewl" nerds like us!

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com