Tuesday, May 24, 2005

A Jockey, a Cop, and a Dress Emergency: My Weekend Update

I had a fun, too-full weekend. On Friday I went out with KA and BD to HB. WBF was maybe going to come but he didn't show up, but we had a fun night anyway. We ended up at the UG and everyone met boys but me. Well, everyone met boys who count but me. I met a jockey though. And not of the disc variety. I'm talking the Seabiscuit kind. I was sitting at a bar stool and he was standing next to the stool. We were the same height. When I found out he was actually standing, it made me sad until he told me he was a jockey. And then I thought that was interesting and cool for a few minutes but not enough to hang out with him much longer. That's not just because he was short and from a state somewhere in the middle, but mainly because I wasn't really looking for guys that night...as I was upset with WBF for not showing. We met a cute police man though. He was on duty and saw us waving at him through the window of the bar. Then he came in! Cops scare me because I'm always afraid they'll find something wrong with me and then give me a ticket. So I was a little scared of him but my fears went away when I told him I was scared and he poo-pooed my reasoning by saying I wasn't doing anything wrong. Phew! After the UG we took a taxi home. The taxi had a DVD player in it and had a Neil Diamond concert playing. We asked him to skip to Sweet Caroline and the three of us did our best drunken rendition of the song along with Neil. He is our favorite taxi driver now. The Taxi man and not Neil Diamond, that is.

On Saturday, I went home around 10am (I slept in way more than normal!), then headed to the beach. It was like 80 degrees in the LBC and perfect beach-going weather. Plus I have to beat YN with a pre-Cabo tan. After the beach I did some errands and rushed home to get ready for a "congrats we just got married via a legal ceremony so now my woman can stay in the US" BBQ. We were going the Magic Castle after the BBQ (which has a cocktail dress-code), so I was torn on what to wear. I needed a cocktail dress that was also BBQ friendly. I had the perfect dress in mind! It was a vintage, cream colored strapless dress that I hadn't worn yet. It was both summery but formal enough to dress up with jewelry and wear it to a cocktail thing. Only problem was that when I put it on for real (with a bra) the boning on either side of the dress bent out. It was better without a bra but that was not an option. I couldn't get it to lay flat and I didn't have a seam ripper to pull them out. So I went thru several other options. Problem is, many of my other dresses are too big now in some places and hang in bad ways. After several panicked calls to YN ("Y! Do you think the ivory dress I wore to HB's party is okay instead?" "Y! the ivory dress hangs badly and makes my a** look big. Do you think black is okay?"), I settled on the most BBQ inappropriate option--a strapless black dress. This black number was the only comfy option that looked okay. And so it was in a black cocktail dress with 3.5" silver heels that I showed up to a jean and sandal-wearing BBQ crowd.

All these dress emergencies also meant I left late and got all sweaty running back and forth between the closet where I kept my nice dresses, my room where I kept the required undergarments for each dress, and the bathroom where I had to see how big my backside looked. YN had no such dress emergencies and was dressed in a perfect BBQ-Cocktail event dress! I may have beat her on the pre-Cabo tan thing, but she out-dressed me that night.

The Magic Castle was fun. Definitely an interesting evening...lots of magic and lots of walking down hallways, up stairs and into little magic shows. It was great once we got there but getting there was a nightmare. It took us an hour and a half to go the six miles from Silver Lake to Franklin-Highland. 1.5 HOURS! This is for many reasons: the traffic in the Hollywood-Highland area is usually awful (and by awful I mean my odometer hovered near 0 MPH the entire time), there was an Alicia Keyes concert going on at the Hollywood bowl, and while I am usually good at directions, we were like the anti GPS on Saturday night. We kept trying shortcuts to avoid traffic that each put us back like 20 minutes. If you want a more detailed history of the traffic problems we encountered, please refer to the "Japanese Currency" blog link in the side bar.

Coming up next....my Friend of the Week post from last week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com