Monday, May 16, 2005

Close Encounters of a Barista Kind

Friday comes and goes, Saturday comes and goes, Sunday comes and goes. No phone call from G. Of course, I'm not sitting around waiting for him...I did lots of fun things this weekend. I saw a REALLY cool Southern Rock band play at the Roxy Friday night and even got a little drunk (thanks to Miss JH and her vodka on the rocks). I celebrated a friends b-day over Sushi, and went to British high tea with my mom. I even did yoga on the beach early Sunday morning. So really, the weekend was quite full without a conversation from G. But of course...a little voice inside said every now and then....I wonder if he's going to call.

This morning I was faced with a dilemma: do I go to TDG and get my usual Monday AM coffee, or do I avoid it and instead go to Peet's (the new coffee place in my life)? Because I normally would go to TDG and because I only went forward with Operation Barista IF I promised to never let it interfere with getting coffee there, I decided to go. I pulled in and didn't see G. I was sort of happy about that. I ordered and pulled around back to wait for my coffee. I was checking out the guy in the car in front of me (he looked like an old coworker, CC, a fellow LBC resident and TDG fan), when G came out and walked straight to my car. He had been in the back room and so there was no way he could have seen me. Based on the way he came out and based on the look I got from one of the other baristas right before he came, I believe one of his co-workers told him I was there. Which is sort of cute and also sort of annoying. They probably know me as "the girl who gave G a note." Whatever.

He seemed happy to see me and a little like he'd been waiting for me to come by. He asked how I was doing and how my weekend was. I told him and asked how his was. He said he'd been out of town and that it actually hadn't been a good weekend. Before I got to ask why he said, "which was why I didn't call you." WHAT!?!? A guy is actually EXPLAINING, in a seemingly sincere way WHY he couldn't call?? And, he actually seemed a little worried about it. Like maybe I'd be upset. Of course, I acted calm and collected the entire time, as though him calling me was the last thing in the world I was worried about. So I just nodded. Then he asked if I was in the same car I was always in. He thought I normally drove a white car (this is another reason why I think he was trying to keep an eye out for me). I said that this is the same car I always use and--check out how smooth this is--came up with an explanation as to why he may have thought my car was white: "I usually pull in on the other side and it's usually sunny and I've heard you guys complain about the glare off the counter...maybe that's why you thought it was white??" I sure know how to flirt...it's a wonder that I'm still single. He agreed that maybe that was why and asked if I was on my way to work. I don't think he knows that I have a real job. Like Monday through Friday. You know, not at a coffee shop. So I said yeah and then he asked what time I got off. I told him and then he said he'd call me tonight.

At first I was pleased with this interaction. It was nice to see a sober guy actually interested and seemingly eager to chat. I thought it was cute that he was keeping an eye out for me, and I bought his excuse for not calling (although, in terms of the 3 day game, he didn't really need to explain not calling--today would have been the 3rd day). But then a sad, sad thing began happening in my over-analytical prone-to-worry brain....what if he's shorter than me? what if he's annoying? what if I don't really want to date him?

I am going to ignore these questions though. It is stupid to worry about these things because we may never even go out on a date. And if he is a dork, or not tall enough, or someone I don't want to date for any other reason, I can just break it off and I can still get my coffee at TDG. I am going to be mature about this, dammit! Even though it all began with a care-bear stickered note...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just drink straight vodka...it gives you a cleaner buzz, and you don't have to pee as often... ;)

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com