Thursday, February 01, 2007

Surprise!

There are a few things I've learned about myself lately that surprise me:

1) I love PE! I had to take a PE course for one of the programs I was going to apply to, so I enrolled in Body Sculpting and it kicks my a** every time. And I love it. No, I love, Love, LOVE it. The instructor is great and every day is different. I am sore for days after each workout and the instructor plays the latest best music (think Justin, Fergie, Gwen, etc.). We use all different kinds of equipment (provided by the school for free!). The cost of the course is only $10 for 6 months--seriously, that means it costs $0.30 a class. That is better than any gym I can think of.

In elementary and high school I couldn't stand PE and I would do anything to get out of it. So it is odd that I am okay with it now. Odder still that I actually look forward to it.

2) I am tired of wearing jeans. Now that I only work part time and spend a lot more of my time in class and doing school related things, all I wear are jeans and I'm tired of them. I never expected that to happen. So in the last month I have made a concerted effort to purchase more non-jean pants--both the kind I can wear to work (I needed some new work pants) and the kinds I can wear on the weekend or to school.

I remember in college when it was cool to wear black pants to go out in. The standard go-out look was black pants and some tight, revealing shirt. For the last 5 or 6 years though, it's been about jeans. Jeans and some tight, revealing shirt. In light of my "wear something other than jeans" campaign, I am considering wearing slacks out. Not fancy ones and not necessarily black ones but not jeans. I just bought some nice dark brown pants and I think they'll work just perfectly.

3) I am really truly grateful for my experiences in business. I knew, logically, that I had many great business experiences that would help in nursing (especially as an advanced practice nurse), but I hadn't experienced it until recently. Managing projects, leading meetings, speaking at large conferences, creating power points, working as a team, working independently--these are all valuable skills and I think all of them will really help me going forward.

I have spent a lot of time wishing that I had figured out "what I want to do when I grow up" earlier. I have thought a lot about how much easier this would have been had I done this the first time around. I have frowned at the fact that I'm going to be 32 before I really start working as a Nurse Practitioner. But maybe now I am starting to see the value in having waited.

Surprises are fun.

1 Comments:

Blogger joink said...

OH GRRRL! Tell me about it. I know i'm a youngiin (bout you're not old either), but i wish i could have figured out a lot sooner what I wanted to do with my life. School always seemed pure evil to me, but now that I'm back in it.. well it still is. I'm starting to get to the GOOD stuff (design) so that makes me happier, but I'm still working at letting go of my old habits (i'm a chronic procrastinator...). I think it's part of growing up. I'm in school now because I want to be.

I can't do the speaking at conferences thing.. I had to lie my way through my speech class.. I can only handle small groups, or groups where I know everyone. I realize how unprepared I will be for life, but.. meh.

I like your pants idea. I'm just trying to fit into my pants again. I wish I had PE - see how I tied it in to BOTH of your other topics? like that?

Oh, and you will love Madonna.

Rule #1: Madonna is always pretentious, but we love her anyway. Accepting this reality allows us to joke about her and her sillyness. Yay.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com