Friday, January 05, 2007

The Middle-Aged Frog

As part of my New Years Resolution to be healthier this year, I am committing to working out five times a week. Three of those workouts have to be "bigger" ones. Meaning, they have to be for about an hour and they must include some weight training. Or they can be a long run. The other two workouts only need to be 20-30 min and their only requirement is that they get my heart-rate up. It can be walking, jogging, lunges, squats, or aerobics.

So far, my plan has worked and today was my 5th workout of the week. The only problems I have encountered are the following: 1) I am tired! If I'm sitting down and watching TV at night, I start getting very sleepy around 7 PM. 2) I am hungrier and want to snack constantly. But snacking all the time sort defeats the purpose. Fortunately, my "be more healthy" New Years Resolution also encourages things like sleeping more and eating healthier food. So getting tired early and snacking on healthier items are not such bad things.

This morning it was very hard to get up. And it didn't help that the wind last night was so bad. It kept waking me up, and thoughts of "should I bring the plants in from the patio? Will they be blown away?" didn't help. When the alarm clock went off this morning, I was tired and hit the snooze button. When it went off again, I did my typical morning-exercise bargaining: "Can I workout some other time today instead? Do I REALLY have to work out today at all? I've done so good this week. And it's so windy...and cold. Maybe it will rain. It wouldn't be good to run in a tempest. Not on a Friday. And I'm going to Disneyland tonight! That means lots of walking. That's aerobic, right?" But all that was crap and the only concession I allowed for was that I could workout indoors instead. After all, the commitment today was only to do 20-30 min of cardio.


Since variety is essential in me keeping up my 5X commitment, I recorded some 30 min exercise shows earlier this week from various cable channels. This morning I couldn't help but laugh at myself as I did interval training with Denise Austin from her show on the Lifetime network. It was a pretty good workout! I got sweaty and we used weights and did some hip and thigh stuff too. But I felt so middle-aged.

1 Comments:

Blogger HB said...

Hey Denise Austin is a spokesperson for Nature Made vitamins; thought I'd make that random connection for you.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com