Monday, November 20, 2006

Strange Days

This was a very strange weekend. In some ways, fantastic. In others, very bad. Friday night was part of the great times. We celebrated KA's 30th birthday and the night ended up being very fun. I have a great memory of BD and I walking with a giggly, drunk KA linked between us, all of us laughing. Good times.

Saturday morning I went on my first run since getting sick a couple weeks ago. I was thrilled to be working out again. The weather was perfect, there was lots to see on the Venice Beach boardwalk, and much good conversation with Miss J. I definitely felt slightly out of shape, or slightly less in shape than I used to be. And an old injury started hurting a bit. I think 7 miles was the perfect distance to aim for though, and in the end I felt great. Miss J and I decided that since neither of us actually want to run the marathon this year, we're going to do our own runs on the weekends. We'll pick the time and distance based on how we feel. But the aim will be between 7 and 10 milers, which will keep us in half marathon shape. I am SO excited about this because running with someone else is infinitely better than running alone. And 10 mile runs are one of my favorite distances!

After my run, I went to San Diego for my grandparents 60th anniversary. While the evening was slightly stressful in terms of family politics and drama (just the usual stuff), it was really very perfect. Everyone had a great time, especially my grandparents. Which is what mattered most.

We stayed in San Diego at my grandparents that Saturday night. I was exhausted from being up late drinking on Friday and from my 7 mile run earlier that day. And from the family festivities. I didn't sleep well though, and I woke up much earlier than I would have liked to. So, I started the day feeling more tired than I like to feel on a Sunday. The plan was to have breakfast, get on the road by 10am, be back in LA by noon. That would leave me the rest of the day to finish my book club book (for our book club meeting last night) and to study for a test I have on Tuesday. My grandmother has not been in the best health or spirits these past couple of years. Every time we visit her now, she likes to give us some more of her old family photos and jewelry. I love her old jewelry and I adore family photos. So after breakfast, she and I were laying on her bed looking through jewelry, picking out what I liked and moving aside what she called "junks." My mom came in at some point to look through it all too. I went to the bathroom and had just decided to steal a ponytail holder from my mothers cosmetic bag when I heard a thud outside the door and my mom yelling. I opened up the bathroom door. My grandmother had fallen and my mom was trying to hoist her back up. My grandfather had run into the hallway, and seeing what had happened started a half cry, half scream (my grandmother has osteoporosis, so falling is especially bad. Her bones break very easily).

We got her to the bed and then had her walk into the living room. She seemed fine, in the sense that she wasn't crying and was able to sort of walk, with help from someone and her cane. Her pain started getting worse though...sharp shooting pain. So we decided to take her to the hospital. Without going into too much detail, it was a long day in the ER. Lots of tests and lots of waiting and mixed information. Also, there was some concern that something more serious was happening at one point. But in the end it turns out she broke her pelvic bone. A broken pelvic is not the end of the world for many people, but she is 90 and depressed about her fading health. This makes it worse.

The feeling I have felt through most of this is fatigue. I also have felt intermittently numb and sad. And I feel worried....so worried. Especially for my mom and my grandfather.

Last night I was lying in bed trying to read. I still have a little cough, and I noticed that whenever I coughed my upper, left chest area hurt slightly, in a way I've never felt. It doesn't hurt today but I was thinking this morning about that feeling. I know hearts don't work this way, but I almost think that maybe last night my heart was hurting a little bit.

1 Comments:

Blogger sassafras said...

Oh no! I hope your grandmother is OK. It's so hard to deal parents and grandparents getting older. Which is why I don't do it well. I hope you're feeling better!

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com