Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Blushes and Crushes (and World Unity)

I'm on a big blogging kick these days. It's 'cause I have all this space in my head to think about things that are not application related.

On that note, here are a few things I'd like to share:

1) America's Next Top Model premiers tonight and Grey's Anatomy premieres tomorrow night. This is going to be a good week.

2) My Chemistry teacher hates me. And I don't know why. I am always there, I sit in the front, I participate and I got an almost perfect score on the first exam (only messing up on one section because her instructions were confusing), I am a good student! Teachers generally like good students! The only thing I can think of as to why she dislikes me is because I have corrected her a few times. I was careful to not do it in public though...I went to her office hours and used the whole "maybe I'm confused but I thought...." tactic. Last week she was so mean to me that other students noticed too and it almost made me cry. So after class I asked her if she didn't like it when I asked questions. She got (fake) sweet and said that she sometimes acts gruff because she's focused and doesn't like to get interrupted. What she meant to say was "I don't like it when YOU ask me questions, b*tch!". Whatever. I'm going to get a perfect score on the next friggen test and that will prove something! Not sure what, but something will be proved!

3) My students are whinny. I am a TA for a weed-out course and a prerequisite for the nursing program. There are GPA minimums to get in and many of them need to get an A in this class to move on. I like them though, which is good. They just need to take their anxiousness down a notch.

4) I had to talk about yeast infections to the class the other day. Which meant I had to mention the V word. I am not someone bothered by things like this usually, so I was surprised to find my face getting hot during the discussion. Maybe it's because I generally refer to that area as the punani. Using the actual scientific word, in a class with boys, might have been what caused my blush.

5) I have a crush on one of my students. It won't go anywhere. He's cute and smart and we have a chemistry and he's older than me (he's doing a second degree/career switch too), but he's married and his wife has just survived two major surgeries. So, he's taken AND devoted. Oh and there's that ethics thing too about not getting involved with students...

6) The other day I was waiting for my lab partner to return with a sample of something we were going to play "chemistry" with. I looked up at the students around me and was struck by how diverse the class was. I was pleasantly surprised to realize that there were all kinds of different cultures and races present. Part of that is because this is a JC in California, and part of it is because it's a JC in an urban location, but either way it's nice and I am happy to be going to/working at a school full of such diversity. We are the world. Word.

2 Comments:

Blogger bemelodious said...

We are the people....w00t.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Virginia Belle said...

i am so, SO glad my job does not require me to EVER use the word "vagina" in front of a group of people. i would die.

i'm sorry your chemistry teacher hates you. sounds like she has some issues. i bet it's her problem, so i say, don't take it personally--some people have bugs up their butt. maybe you remind her of someone you hate?

in any case, i'd definitely be the A student and ace the hell out of everything, just to show her up.

but then again, i'm kind of a bitch who loves competition.

p.s. i also work at a JC. small world.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com