Wednesday, September 13, 2006

In Search of Vanity Fair

I spent this past weekend (plus Friday and Monday) in Seattle (I hope to have a photos of the week up from it soon!). I went with my BF Kim. We stayed with a friend of ours, LR. It was a lot of fun but because of all the time away, last week was too busy and this week is too busy. Again, sleep is becoming something I dream about more than actually experience. Things will be better soon though. I have my first exam tomorrow and my application is almost done. Those two things will lighten my stress load lots.

So I think Suri, the Tom-Kat offspring, is beautiful. There's something unique about her look...Tyra Banks says that sometimes the best beauty is questionable. 'Cause it can make an impression. I'm not sure if it's Suri's look I'm drawn to, or if it's the fabulous photography, but I had to buy the Vanity Fair issue she was featured in. Which is strange for me. I am not particularly interested in the baby off-spring of famous people, and I don't really like the Tom-Katie pairing. But something about these were striking. I especially like the shots of the family overlooking the valley. Great lighting and expressions!

Funny thing was, I saw the photos first on my way out of LA at the airport. I didn't expect to buy the magazine and didn't. But then on the plane I kept thinking about the photos. When I got to Seattle, I decided I wanted to buy my own copy. But everywhere I went in Seattle, all weekend, the magazine was sold out. And in the airport coming back on Monday it was sold out at 5 different stores! I was shocked. I've never experienced a magazine sell-out before. Since I don't normally buy magazines, this felt extremely frustrating. Upon landing in LA, I happened to pass by one of their little airport stores.

For the hell of it I thought I'd ask if they had a copy.

In Seattle the answer I got when I asked this question was: "Sure. It's right over he--wait, looks like we're out!"

In LA, the answer I got was a cold stare and bored head-tilting gesture towards a stack of them in the corner of the store.

I guess it's no great irony that I was able to find Vanity Fair in the land of the superficial and entertainment-driven.












(I couldn't find an illegal internet version of my favorite image, so I included these. I'm sure the whole world has seen them by now but I wanted to be a thorough blogger.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com