Friday, July 28, 2006

Email Etiquette

I have a new pet-peeve: when people respond to an email (that has several people copied on it) but do not hit "reply all." This is especially annoying when the topic is relevant for EVERYONE on the email. And it usually is. That's why they're CC'd in the first place. Everyone makes mistakes about this from time to time. And I have more patience with the blackberry people out in the field (because the buttons and screen are all so tiny!), but there is one regular offender who works at a desk maybe 50 feet from my office. She NEVER hits reply all. It bugs.

This is a normal scenario:

1) No-Reply-All Girl (NRAG) will ask me, over email, about why a sales person is trying to do something for a particular ad. Since NRAG works in inventory planning, her questions are usually related to the amount of product needed for the promotional event. I usually don't know the answer to this, as my realm of control is over competition/pricing/profitability.

2) I forward the email to the appropriate sales person (who she also knows and could work with directly)and make sure to copy NRAG so she can see the response and get her little answer. The message I send usually says something like this: "Please see [NRAG]'s question below."

3) The sales person usually responds to NRAG's question (including both her and me on the email). Often times their response is a question addressed to NRAG, asking things like, "If we move the ad date to X, can we have the inventory?" or "How much product is available?"

4) And here's the moment of real annoyance: NRAG will respond to their question but ONLY COPY ME on it. So then I have to forward her response to all the relevant people again and say, "Please see the response from NRAG below."

Why? WHY? WHY?!?!?!

That is all just bad email etiquette.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com