Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Matchmaker, Matchmaker, Make me a Match*

Last night I took my test! I'm SO glad it's done. Now there are only 6 more to endure! Semester systems are SO long. YAY to the UC system for going the quarter route.

So after my test I decided to celebrate being finished by eating one of my favorite TJ's Popsicles (tropical fruit) and watching one of my favorite movies of all time, The Matchmaker. I love this movie, but when I started watching it, I didn't remember how much I love it. So it was sort of a fun surprise. Prior to last night I would not have called this one of my favorite movies, but now it is. Here's why:

1) I feel like I can relate to Janine Garafalo's character: the cynical, stressed out, driven American who sometimes misses out on the little joys of daily life.

2) I love Ireland and the Irish. They are a fun bunch of people and I would love to someday spend more time there. I often toy with the idea of picking up and moving to a little seaside Irish town and working in a pub. I could ride my bike to work, stroll along the cliffs at sunset with my dog, befriend the local senior men who would tell me stories about the Ireland of yore....what a rosy little life I'd have. But then, I also dream about picking up and moving to a tropical island somewhere where I would spend my days strolling the beach, collecting seashells, and selling fresh fruit in a ramshackle beach side stand. And then...there's the dream about picking up and moving to Africa where I could befriend local tribes and stroll the savannah taking photos of elephants for National Geographic. I guess the common theme here is the "picking up and moving far, far away" thing. (sigh).

Okay, back to the movie list....

3) I like the little romance that develops. It seems real--not too Hollywood--and sweet. And it develops in a comfortable way. They sort of stumble along until it just happens. There are some obstacles of course, but it is all good by the end.

4) It's funny! I am pro-laughter.

5) The guy does get the girl and there is a happy ending. Trite, but nice.

*The title of this post comes from everyone's favorite Fiddler on the Roof song about a Matchmaker. Since watching The Matchmaker, I have had this song in my head consistently. It's not annoying. Yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com