Wednesday, February 15, 2006

How 'Bout Them Apples

We had our first test in Physiology last Tuesday and I KNEW I didn't do that well on the test. Here's why:

1) There was a phenomenal amount of material covered in this unit because it was basically teaching/reviewing all the chemistry/cell biology stuff we would need to know going forward (to understand the chemical reactions in the body, down to the cellular level, and why they happen the way they do).

2) I didn't take any Chemistry or Biology in College. In fact, I took both of those courses around sophomore year in High School (one via summer school). That means I was 15 last I did this stuff, and that means it was 12 years ago!!! And, the material as presented in this class is more advanced. I did take a couple of GE science courses at UCLA, but nothing serious. So for me this unit was more about learning than reviewing.

3) The course material we're supposed to know for each unit is broken down into objectives. This unit covered 36 objectives. To give perspective on how much material this really is, let me just say that answering one objective at times took over an hour. So answering all 36 of them ended up yielding 22 pages of typed material. It probably took me about 30 hours to collect all of it, let alone the time after that it took to memorize it all. So when I went into the test I did not know all the material backwards and forwards, like I wanted to.

4) This teacher is hard and actually LIKES to trick you on tests. I over-think everything so my mind does not work well in situations where I know I'm trying to be tricked. I also knew that on an OPEN BOOK quiz I took earlier in the semester, I got 7 out of 12 which I find completely embarrassing and appalling. Hence, my great fear.

5) Prior to handing back the exams, the teacher gave a little lecture about how horrible we did and about how disappointed she was in us, and about how we have to study more. The breakdown of the exam convinced me further that I did not do well. There was one A, 8 Bs, 2 Cs, 7 Ds and 6 Fs.

When I picked up my test I discovered to much amazement that...I got the A. And, it was actually a perfect score (but that was only because she offered an extra credit essay question. Which I answered with fervor. 'Cause I subscribe to the philosophy that every point counts...).

I was SO shocked and SO happy that I actually went up to the teacher and said, "am I reading this right?"

I guess I did study enough. I think it helps that I actually LOVE what I'm learning. We had a lab the other day on DNA replication/translation/transcription and, shock of shocks, I thought it was fun.

(it's okay, I'm rolling my eyes too).

Take that LHL and Russian Dancer!

1 Comments:

Blogger Y. said...

Congrats! That's awesome.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com