Friday, September 09, 2005

Surprise!

This has been a crazy, fun and very full summer. And something I've come to really notice in looking back at it is that life is full of surprises. What I mean by this is that things keep happening that I don't expect. This might not be a big revelation to most people, but I tend to be someone who looks ahead, plans things to make the best use of time, and tries to prepare for the future accordingly. That being said, surprises take me by surprise because they're surprising (yes, I'm full of deep, though-provoking concepts on this sleeping Friday morning).

The last month for me has been especially surprising. Mostly with good things. Some examples include WBF stuff, Cancun being cancelled because of Emily, planning a trip to Hawaii, learning to surf, getting into and KICKING A** in my anatomy class (I broke the curve on the last practical--I got the highest score and only two people--me being one of them--didn't fail).


Another big surprise life has served up lately is that...my dad is in a band.

Yes, that's right, I just wrote, "my dad is in a band." My dad is a mid-50-something who works as a Senior Quality Engineer with high level security clearance on government projects for Northrop Grumman. And at night, he "jams" on his guitar with fellow co-workers in a band they lovingly call "Know Roolz." In addition to my dad they have a singer, a base player, a keyboardist, and a manager. The manager may be the most interesting part of all this. He's an older, single, wealthy man who for some reason enjoys buying expensive musical equipment for the band and enjoys booking them at various Yacht club's throughout the Southbay.

My dad is an excellent musician and has been my whole life. Some of my earliest memories involve listening to him play. The first few notes of certain songs can draw happy or sad emotions from me like I'm a Pavlovian dog. So I'm not surprised that he's playing the guitar. But a band? That performs? In public? And get's paid?? This is something I did not expect.

I went to my parent's house a couple weeks ago and got to hear the band practicing. They were good! All I could do while I heard them play various Eric Clapton and Beatles songs was shake my head and smile. This was not something I expected.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How to help
Last updated: September 07. 2005 7:17PM Helpful web links Web connections for information and storm help Making donations Network for Good maintains a list of links to numerous charities and has a special page ...
refinance mortgage we can help you. We can get almost anyone approved for any type of loan you need, including all types of mortgages, refinances, pay day loan advance, auto financing and much more.
www.nwcleasing.com
can help you get the funds you need fast, usually within 24 hours or less.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Y. said...

Your family is the coolest!

1:44 PM  
Blogger kq said...

Oh, ML, it's so sad that your blog comments are now filled with lame ads instead of witty banter from your blog friends. :( Glad that your trip to Hawaii was so much fun. And your rock 'n roll dad sounds hilarious!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Follow the Frog said...

thanks KQ. Yeah, I know about the dumb ads. TO ALL DUMB AD COMMENT POSTERS, STOP ADDING DUMB COMMENTS. Thanks ;)

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com