Friday, August 19, 2005

WBF Status Report

Okay, real quick, just because I haven't written about him much this week, here is an update on Operation WBF. I followed through with the "no thinking" strategy on Monday and Tuesday and it has worked well.

  • On Monday I was cordial and friendly, but made no efforts to talk to him. He sought me out and we chatted.
  • On Tuesday I was cordial and friendly, but again made no efforts to talk to him. He emailed me about hanging out sometime this week.
  • On Wednesday, I told him I didn't have time to hang out this week (75% true) and asked if we could instead hang out over the weekend. He emailed that that sounded like a good idea but he might be going out of town this weekend and that he'd let me know.
  • On Thursday, he let me know--through a conversation I started--that he probably would be going out of town. He did not mention anything about how that meant we couldn't hang out over the weekend. But I'm sure he knew I'd figure it out. Which, I did (YAY for that college degree).
  • On Friday, he confirmed--during a group conversation--that he was indeed going out of town. Which means, of course, we won't be hanging out (once again, thank God for that BA).
Of course, I am trying to "not think" and not add meaning to any of this. It's best to take it at face value.

But...a small and muffled part of me is screaming. The conversation goes like this:

Irrational, Neurotic ML: "He doesn't like you! He would rather go out of town then hang out with you! You're busy next week so you'll NEVER hang out ever again now!"

Rational, Calm ML: "No don't be silly. He wants to hang out, it just can't work this weekend."

Irrational, Neurotic ML: "You knew this would never work anyway. Maybe it's just not meant to be. Give up now. Run and hide before you invest more in this stupid idea and end up getting hurt."

Of course, the irrational, neurotic side of me is irrational and neurotic and therefore dumb.

All of this segues nicely into a post I'm working on for Monday about the discrepancies between logic and emotion. One can be the most logical person, ever, when it comes to life, work, education, etc. But enter a boy and all logic flies out the window. WHY? There are some standard "irrationalities" the Private and I have come across that are particularly funny.

3 Comments:

Blogger kq said...

I am SO far behind on reading and posting!!! Two weeks without internet at home and living at work, and I'm missing out on all this juicy stuff!

I totally agree with emotions vs. rational thinking. Going the emotional, irrational route has not worked thus far for me. I vote for the rational idea.

And I'm sure WBF is actually kicking himself for not being able to spend time with you this weekend. Who WOULDN'T want to hang out with you?!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Follow the Frog said...

oh...thanks KQ. Yeah, I was wondering what has been up with everyone not posting? my excuse for this week is that I've been sick. You've got the non-net acess excuse...but what's everyone elses?!?

10:29 AM  
Blogger kq said...

It could also be the work sucks syndrome. I'm still at work and plan to be here 'til around midnight. I know KA's swamped, and G's out with his toe...

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com