Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Something Challenging This Way Comes

Last night, history was made.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen (both of you), that's right. I was able to secure a position in an Anatomy class.

This was such a momentous occasion that I must tell y'all the story.

Two years ago I decided I didn't want to convince people to buy products they don't need at prices triple the cost. I decided instead to do what I wanted to do my entire life...be a doctor. Of course, I am now (sniff, sniff) in my late 20's. And that means that I've lived long enough as an adult to know what it means to go back to school and start over. I know what it means financially, I know how it can interfere with other macro life plans and I already worry about what it's gonna feel like to be entry level once again. But after thinking for a year on this, and after a breakup with my dumb ex, I decided "WTF? Why not??" But...instead of becoming a doctor, I settled upon Nurse Practitioner because it's less schooling, less time, but enough money (Only adults know how rewarding it can be to aim low).

And so with the analytical tenacity that I approach everything I care about, I researched, planned, talked, questioned, and then researched, questioned, talked, questioned, planned, and questioned some more.

I found some great programs--one in SF, one in KY, and one in LBC. Over the past year I've changed my mind frequently about which program seems right, but ALL the programs require a basic pre-requisite: a full, college-level, life-science major appropriate anatomy course.

"Well great," I thought, "I'll just go to the nearest JC and enroll." Little did I know it is far from being that easy. Here's a summary as to why I was foolish to think this would be simple:

1) There's a huge national nursing shortage right now.
2) Nurses get paid pretty well, relative to the required schooling, especially because of their current demand.
3) Supply has not yet caught up with demand--there aren't enough nurses and, more importantly, not enough resources to create more nurses.
4) Because resources (schools, classes, professors) are limited, those wanting to become nurses have to deal with wait lists long enough to reach forever.
5) Those still wanting to fight for space within said limited resources are desperate and competitive.

When I first signed up for Anatomy, I was 200th on the waiting list. I was told "Regester earlier." So I did register earlier, at three different JCs in fact. This time, I was 89th on the waiting list for one school. I didn't even get on the lists for the others, as they cap them at a more reasonable number of 20. Then I was told, "Get more units and you're enrollment time will improve." So I took two classes (other less medical pre-reqs). This time, I still enrolled a week earlier than before and ended up in about the same place I had the term earlier. Then I took one more class (another less medical pre-req) AND I even went through the college's assessment and orientation program. This is the pleasant, and highly informative "training" module recommended for new high schoolers (and other new students) who are scared about entering the big crazy world of higher education. People who go through this process get better enrollment appointments. So I took a sick day, went to the orientation and assement thing, learned about how to become active on campus AND even got to write an essay to prove I didn't need an ESL English composition class. What fun.

And then it happened. I registered and made it--ready for this--to position #9 and #15 on the wait list for two different anatomy courses. Eureka!

I was REALLY happy about this. It was such an improvement over 200 and 89th! And surely, they would let at least 9 people into the class right??

Okay...I have to go to my dentist appointment now. Part 2 tomorrow...this is where it gets good.

1 Comments:

Blogger Y. said...

I'm riveted and can't wait until part 2!

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com