Thursday, September 15, 2005

Southern Gentlemen DO Exist

Last weekend, at the BBQ for the Ohio State Football game, I met a guy we'll call SO. He was very chatty, funny and nice. He looks like he's 12 but turns out he actually is my age. I was taken in slightly by his charisma--because he was goofy and he made me laugh and I like that sort of thing--but I have nothing exciting to report about "us" because he has a girlfriend. BUT I wanted to share this little story about him because I am pleasantly surprised about what happened later.

During the night he was trying to convince everyone at the party to join him at KZLA's big country bash in October. I know nothing about country. Well, I take that back. The only thing I know about country music is that it's not my favorite. And, oh yeah, I also know some popular cross-over type country singers like Faith Hill and Shania Twain. Oh, and I know

the guys who marry/date famous movie stars (Kenny Chesney, and possibly Keith Urban. But that one's still pending confirmation from a reliable news source).

Back to the story. So, I know nothing about country. But I thought SO was cute and motivational about the whole thing, and since a couple other people that I met and really liked at the BBQ decided to go, Y and I agreed as well. After all, this does give us an excuse to buy western accessories.

While we were serious in saying that we'd go to the event, I wasn't sure it would actually happen. SO took my digits and said he'd call the next day about the whole thing. I smiled and nodded while smirking internally. Sunday came and went. Monday came and went. Tuesday morning, I woke up to a text message sent late the night before. It was from SO and said that he'd call soon to convince me to go the concert.


During our conversation later that day, we finalized the details for the concert and chatted about several other things. I was pleasantly surprised that he: (a) did call, (b) remembered everything from that night (about what I did, who I was, etc.), (c) said a few nice things about me, (d) still wanted us to go, and (e) asked with concern about Y's jacket--she left it at the bar that night. But what surprised me the most is this: at the end of the conversation, he said he'd be out of town for the next few weekends for work stuff. He told me all the details and I listened and politely asked questions, not really knowing why he was bringing this up. Then he said, "I'm telling you this so that if you don't hear from me in the next few weeks, you won't think I've forgotten about all this."

WTF?!?! A guy letting me know AHEAD of time that he might not call--for good reason--so as to preempt any of those imminent anxious thoughts from popping into my head when I don't hear from him for awhile? My goodness. What fabulous training the women in his life have given.

He hails from Virginia....maybe I should move there.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, DT is from Virginia. I'm just saying....

3:38 PM  
Blogger kq said...

You could move to Texas, my home state! But I don't know how many true gentlemen live there. Bush is from Texas, afterall.....

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This springs from the rural roots of the south --- if you were going somewhere, you let those you care about and have your word for it know you are "going to be out-of-pocket. This goes for males and females alike. At least this has been my experience.

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com