Monday, May 02, 2005

A Chance Encounter in the LBC

On Friday afternoon, AFTER I decided I no longer liked WBF he emailed to find out about some good restaurants in my neighborhood. After talking to him about the options, the one he sounded most interested in was the one that my friend YN and I JUST decided to go to for dinner that very night. I made a point of telling him that I was already going there because I didn't want him to think I was suggesting where he should go and then show up too. He asked what time we were going and the conversation ended with us saying maybe we'll see each other either at the restaurant or at the bars afterwards.

Fast forward a few hours later. Guess who shows up right as we're leaving?? WBF! We stop and chat for a minute but the restaurant is tiny and crowded. We were standing in an awkward place kind of blocking the main walkway, so we didn't talk for long. He asked where we were going after dinner and I was like "Oh, I don't know." The irony about this is that here my BIG crush is asking where I'm going to be next and I answer with a very aloof comment practically blowing him off. Of course, I'm always so afraid that my feelings are transparent that somewhere in my twisted psyche I feel like I'm being super aggressive (Samantha on Sex and the City type aggressive).

After leaving the restaurant, YN had to go to the Rite-Aid next door to pick up something. We talked about the WBF encounter and I realize, slowly, that I had the perfect opportunity to arrange meeting up with WBF after dinner and I responded completely incorrectly!!! I am literally freaking about all this in the makeup aisle at Rite Aid when I decide other advice is needed. I called the PtA and GnCH to get their take on the situation. They suggested that I call WBF and say "we decided to go to X bar and maybe after dinner you should stop by." But of course, I DON'T HAVE HIS NUMBER. For fear of drunk dialing him I have never put it in my cell phone. PtA the advises that I need to go back into the restaurant to invite him and his friends to the bar we're going to. I knew this was the right, mature, thing to do but still I am nervous about it. Thankfully, YN asks if it would make me feel better if she asked him, and even though having your girl-friend ask the boy you like to meet up with you is something only elementary school kids do, this immediately felt like the best option. Next to passing him a note in study hall of course.

So with shaking legs and sweaty palms, we walked back into the tiny, cramped restaurant. YN said something funny and nice to open the conversation and invited them to join us after they eat. They were receptive to the idea, and WBF even asked if we wanted to sit and join them. After a few minutes of chatting (by chatting I mean YN talked while I stood there looking awkward and twiddling my thumbs) we left for the bar.

After about an hour of sitting at the bar having a drank and reflecting (stressing!) on the WBF encounter, I decide they are not coming and that he doesn't like me. We decide to wait a half hour more. I am lowering my head in shame, wallowing in his rejection of me, when in walks WBF and friends!!! It is obvious early on that his friends didn't really want to be there but he seemed to. Even so, they stayed for an hour and a half! Then he asked what we were doing for the rest of the night. One of the guys wanted to go to bars in HB. WBF then asked us what we were doing and if we wanted to go with them. When I said I didn't feel like driving all the way there and back he said I could stay at his place (he said on his couch). He mentioned that a couple of times, and his friend even joined in and said we should come too. I got the feeling that WBF actually didn't want to leave and would have easily stayed at the bar we were at if his friends wanted to.


In one of our conversations, he called me "someone very special." It was sort of a joke though because one of his friends was saying he was a big drinker and I said "Well, a true sign of a big drinker is if he has a flask" (I gave him one for his b-day). So he laughed and said, "I have a flask. A very good friend gave it to me. Someone very special." Of course, he was saying it in front of me so he had to say something nice. And he did say "friend" first which made me sad. I would have preferred something like "a very hot girl I know and want to start dating." But the friend comment was followed by "special person." Te, he. I"m special to him. : )


Special Thanks go out to YN for being the perfect Wing-Woman. I couldn't have done all this on my own. Also special thanks to PtA and GnCH for advising on strategy throughout the evening.
Now for the rest of the weekend...

On Saturday, HB and I drove out to Las Vegas and met up with KA, Babydoll and a couple of others. It was sort of an unplanned trip and was SO much fun. We went to Mon Ami Gabi for dinner--a fantastic French bistro in Paris--then to Rain in the Palms where we met tons of boys. We didn't even go to bed until 8am!! It was crazy and I am still recovering.

Fashion Theme of the Week: This week we have our big semi-annual National Sales meeting. That means I am in meetings all day for three days straight. The particular conference room we'll be in is always SUPER cold. Like, arctic tundra cold. So because of the circumstances, this week's Fashion Theme is "comfy, yet corporate warm clothing with lots of layers." I guess that's not really a theme, but because my WBF is going to be involved at all the meetings, it becomes a bit more challenging. Not only do I have to look professional in clothing that could survive Ice-Age type temperatures, I ALSO have to appear Sexy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com