Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Adventures in Lateness

I don't know what's wrong but for some reason lately, I am NEVER on time for work. I'm only about 5-10 minutes late and no one has said anything, but I'm really annoyed by it. This has been going on now for about 2 weeks and whatever efforts I make to change the pattern, something always thwarts my plan.

Today I left with plenty of time. So much time in fact that I was pleased with myself as I pulled out of the driveway. But that was when things stopped going smoothly. First, one of the major roads I take to work was closed for construction. I pull on to an alternative route and things seem fine. Speeding down the road, I decided to stop by the Daily Grind. Maybe it was the day to confess my attraction to the barista.

Upon arriving at TDG, I noticed an unusually long line at the first window. Thinking I'm being sneaky, I pull around the back-side and hope to glide into what is a shorter line for the second window. I was wrong. But now it was impossible to get back to the first window. I decided to wait anyway.

So, I'm waiting and waiting....I am not sure what the two SUVs in front of me ordered but surely it was something that required picking fresh beans from Columbia and then bringing them in by boat. 15 MINUTES LATER--I finally get my coffee. All the employees are running around trying to satisfy the hordes of angry coffee drinkers still waiting to be served, so I decided maybe today wasn't the best time for flirting. He did say hello though, and he also apologized for the wait. I felt happy with this bit of attention, only to turn towards the mirror and see that I had a big waffle crumb camped out on my lower lip. It was stuck to my extra gooey lip gloss, which was applied earlier in an effort to appear seductive for barista boy.

I pull out of TDG and continue towards the Man. I am no longer certain I will be on time, but maybe if things go well I won't be so late. The drive is going smoothly. I'm listening to Tori Amos and sipping my fabulous coffee, when all of a sudden the 605 freeway comes to a standstill. The traffic moves at sub-20MPH speeds for the rest of my commute, and I walk into the building in the customary fashion--run-walking while balancing my coffee, purse and lunch, attempting to put my keys and sunglasses away while getting out my work badge, sneaking into the side door, and scurrying through the mail-room all at 15 past the hour.

I guess some things just can't be avoided. I am a horrible employee.

Other news: Saw Tori Amos last night in concert at Royce Hall, UCLA. It was fantastic. She's a wonderful performer.

Fashion Theme of the Week: Each day I must wear a rainbow color, in order of the spectrum. So yesterday I had to wear red, today orange, tomorrow yellow and so forth. It forced me to get in an orange and yellow item--things I don't typically wear.

1 Comments:

Blogger bemelodious said...

Frog, are you a lesbian? (re: the rainbow colored clothing theme this week.) LOL.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com