Friday, April 22, 2005

Sides of Barista with my Morning Coffee

I have a crush on someone who works at the coffee shop I go to. It's called the Daily Grind (isn't that a nice comforting name for a coffee place?). One of the guys who works there is cute! But I don't know his name and our conversations are pretty much limited to, "I'll have a Medium Americano with Half and Half" or "Nice day, huh?". BUT, our non-verbal communication suggests that we both keep an eye out for each other. There are several problems barring this little coffee crush from advancing. Here they are:

1) Age: He is probably in college, as this particular Daily Grind location is near a university, and most of his co-workers seem college-aged.

2) What Window will he be at? This coffee shop is a drive through and I never know what side of the shop he's working on! With careful examination, I was able to determine what mornings he works (not on Thursdays), so maybe with some more time I will figure out his window patterns. Sometimes, even if he's working on one side, he comes by the window I'm at to make sure my order has been taken.

3) Sunshine: If we happen to meet on the East window, the sun is too bright lately for eye-contact. I know this because he once said, "The sun is so bright, I can barely see you". I hope he wasn't happy about that...I do make sure to always look my best when I go. Maybe June Gloom won't be so bad this year.

4) Awkward Coffee: If I make any move to let him know I think he's cute, and things don't go well, then I will have to find another place to get coffee in the morning. And I really like the Daily Grind! Not so much because the coffee is good, but because it's the morning equivalent of a cup of soup during a winter-time cold.

I have two options here. I can do nothing, or I can pass him a note saying "I think you're cute." That's innocent enough, yet sweet and playful in a 12-year-old-girl way. I'm not propositioning anything or even asking him out, just giving him a compliment. And if nothing comes of it I will still be able to get coffee there.

Of course now that I'm almost 27--which puts me in the top 3rd of my 20's--maybe I should just grow up and ask him out like an adult. When he asks me my order next time I can say, "I'll have a Medium Americano with half & half, and a piece of you on the side."

3 Comments:

Blogger Y. said...

I have a crush on the receptionist-type guy who works at the front desk at my gym. He's one of the things I miss now that I don't have enough energy to make it to the gym in the mornings anymore. I've convinced myself that even though he looks young, and he works at the front desk of a gym, he must actually be a grad student (therefore making him more acceptable on many levels). =) Of course, there's nothing to suggest this other then my fervant desire that this be the case. And, unlike you, I can't really go to another gym (assuming I ever make it back) since no other one in this chain is within walking distance, so I don't think it's meant to be. As for you however, I say go for it...and by that, I mean, pass him a note. Just because we're approaching the upper third of our 20's doesn't mean we have to act like it!

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will probably never act on my RT crush, but it's fun to look forward to going there for more than one reason! And I agree, just because we are in our upper 20's doesn't mean we have to act it!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Follow the Frog said...

I'm glad you all have similar crushes! It makes eating sushi or working out more fun.

Y-I will keep my fingers crossed that he's a grad student.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com