Wednesday, March 30, 2005

"Summer time, Summer time, Sum- Sum- Summertime"

I can't wait for summer. I'm so excited that the weather is getting better, and especially excited that it's going to be 80 degrees on Friday. I never thought I'd say this but "YAY for Santa Ana's." I REALLY appreciate sunshine and being outside now more than ever. Five years of working for Corporate America has meant over 10,000 hours of indoor time under artificial light. Ick. I miss walking outside between classes and lounging on grassy knolls during breaks. Well, actually, I miss the vacations the most, and the flexibility of a student lifestyle (e.g. "I don't feel like going to class today...maybe I just won't").

I'm going to live this summer to its fullest. I'm going to be outside as much as I can and spend lots of time by large, swimmable bodies of water with an umbrella-and-fruit-adorned drink in hand.

Last night I finished watching the movie Troy. I thought it was really horrible. While I do find Brad Pitt attractive and previously had a neutral opinion about his acting ability, I have changed my mind on both those fronts slightly. I thought he was less attractive in this movie (by "less" I mean I would still totally do him, but just that he slid down a teen tiny notch on my scale...He is no longer at a Legends of the Fall level), and I thought his acting was horrible. I felt no sympathy for his character and his struggles. I personally feel no compulsion towards wanting to make my name immortal, and the movie did little to make me understand why that was a big deal for Mr. Achilles. I also felt no emotion towards his little affair with the Trojan woman. Yeah, that was cool and all and it had much potential for great movie romance moments--"a Trojan Slave captured by the Spartan army, held prisoner by Achilles and then becoming his lover". What Trojan Priestess wouldn't dig that?--but they didn't build on that relationship enough. It felt very sterile to me. It was more like this:

Trojan Priestess: "Woe is me, I'm innocent and beautiful and was merely worshipping my god when these evil Spartans captured me. And now I'm scared, making me all the more vulnerable and irresistibly beautiful."
Achilles: "I want to be immortal, and that justifies me fighting this horrible war for a king I hate. You're kind of hot though. I'll make sure you're safe."
Trojan Priestess: "But you are on the wrong side and so I should straddle your naked body and slit your throat in the night."
Achilles: "But wouldn't it be better to have hot sex?"
Trojan Priestess: "Yes, let's."

Beyond my opinion of Achilles and his less-than-sordid affair with the Royal Enemy Priestess, I also felt very little sympathy for Paris and his stolen wife Helen. I mean, come on, was she really worth it? Her acting wasn't. The only character I felt some compassion for was Hector. Poor guy had to lead the battles, deal with a father who believed in whatever his priest said about the Gods, and fight his brother's fights for him.

So all in all, I'm disappointed by this movie. I don't mean to be too harsh on it though, it had pretty scenery (Pitt and the ocean) and nice special effects (all those boats and same Matrix-esque jumping with swords). I guess I'm just so disappointed because I love period movies and historical fiction. I think they focused too much on Hollywood big-budget details and less time developing the plot.


Hey look at that? A movie review. Siskel and Ebert would be proud.

1 Comments:

Blogger Y. said...

I totally agree. This is the only movie I've ever walked out of...and I have admittedly horrible taste in movies. As I was watching it, I was thinking, "Why am I torturing myself by forcing myself to finish watching this movie just because I paid $10 for it? I'm now paying $10 and wasting time!" So I sat in the hallway and made phone calls. Because that was more fun.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com