Sunday, May 20, 2007

Believing in the Underdog

I survived the cross-country trip and am now settled in Baltimore. So far I really love the city! It’s got so much history and fun little neighborhoods to explore. Prior to coming here I got lots of comments along the lines of, “Despite what you hear about it, Baltimore is great!” and “I was surprised how much I really liked it.” All the comments were full of affection but qualified as though they expected their opinions to be challenged. Or as though one might not believe how great the city is. I think I’m going to love this place in the same way that I loved Long Beach. It’s sort of like the underdog. It’s got some rough patches, but the rough paired with the good makes it all the more lovable.

Plus, I’ve only seen good things so far. The weather has been nice. I’m in love with my neighborhood and apartment (my actual space and the building). There are cute boys who invite me to parties in the elevator. The Inner Harbor is stunning in the way that only big cities on water can be (a cross between Sydney and San Francisco, in my opinion). There are lots of Indian places that deliver. Nothing is far away. I already have friends within a two block radius of my place (thanks to Laura!). The pool is on the 20th floor and is open for use starting this weekend. There’s a big mall about a mile away with all the important stores in it. There’s lots of coastline and water front areas to explore. What more could a girl want?

Baltimore is sometimes shortened to B’more. “Be More.” I like that philosophy. There seems to be some sort of campaign going on around the city with signs that say “Believe” everywhere. Kind of like this:

















Be More. Believe. This is my kind of place.

My parents left yesterday and I was really sad. I’d gotten used to being with them 24-7 and while that did drive me crazy at times, I felt sad without them initially. I think the problem with driving cross-country is that the distance is really felt. Flying for 6 hours from coast to coast is obviously the same distance, and sure, it’s a long day in the air. But when you travel all those miles by road…well….it just makes you feel that much further. You really get that you’re on one side of this great big country while everyone you love is way across on the other. I didn’t feel lonely, but I felt far, far away.


Last night I had dinner with my friend SC (from the year I lived in England) in Washington DC. It was great catching up with her but wow was it hard to drive out of that city! I got lost. It was dark. I was tired. I ended up taking the long way around only to stumble across a major traffic jam at 11:30 PM.

Today I went to the Baltimore Farmer’s Market with my new friend LK. I bought strawberries, asparagus and a rosemary plant. I avoided looking at the crepes, sausage sandwiches, and various pastries. But I knew they were there. Lurking in my periphery and calling me to feast.

After that, I went to a “Wine in the Woods” festival where they provided “ample tasting” for a small price. It was all green grass and big trees, sunshine and jazz, laughter and fair food, and lots and lots of Maryland vino. Did you know Maryland has many wineries? I did not. Some of it is really good. Although, after some ample tasting, what isn’t?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Baltimore updates! I'm so excited for your move and new adventures. =)

9:51 AM  
Blogger bemelodious said...

Be More and Believe-- I love it! New taglines for the Frog...

11:33 AM  
Blogger kq said...

Baltimore sounds great! Glad to hear you're settling in nicely. Can't wait for all the new stories. :)

1:11 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yay!! I'm so glad you and LK are hitting it off. And I'll be looking forward to more observations about B-more... you're making me miss it.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com