Friday, May 04, 2007

A 300 Page Paperback

I've been in a book club for about 4.5 years now. It's been so much fun, and I've read so many great books I wouldn't have read otherwise. Some of those books, in fact, I would now call favorites,

Tonight was my last official (in-person) book club meeting. I'm going to try and keep it up from the left coast via Skype (an internet conferiencing program). Hopefully it will work out, but I fear finding the time to keep up with the reading will be tough.

I have sort of been acting as the historian of the book club. My official responsibilities meant keeping a list of all the books we've read. Miss J asked that I post it somewhere online, so here it is. It's quite a list, and it spans all kinds of different authors, generations, experiences. In a sense I feel like I've lived each of these books. Sharing them with the other book club members has only added to the experience, and I'm thankful for it all.

(I am too lazy to italicize and link each title. Sorry. Search for it manually on Amazon if you're interested. The list begins with the book most recently read and goes backwards. Some books were fantastic. Others, not so much. If you have questions about which ones we liked and didn't, email me.)

The Namesake, Jhumpa Lahiri
A Blessed Event, John Reynolds Page
The Memory Keepers Daughter, Kim Edwards
Lamb, Christopher Moore
Paint it Black, Janet Fitch
100 Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Devil in the White City, Erik Larsen
Shantaram, Gregory David Roberts
On Beauty, Zadie Smith
The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini
The Dogs of Babel, Carolyn Parkhurst
The Magician's Nephew (Book 4, Chronicles of Narnia), C.S. Lewis
Identity, Milan Kundera
Scarlett Pimpernel, Baroness Orczy

Reading Lolita in Tehran, Azar Nafisi
The Known World, Edward P Jones
The Orchid Thief, Susan Orlean
The Instance of the Fingerpost, Iain Pears
The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger
Love Monkey, Kyle Smith
Unless, Carol Sheilds
The Confessions Max Tivoli, Andrew Sean Greer
Sula, Toni Morrison
A Moveable Feast, Ernest Hemingway
The Five People You Meet in Heaven, Mitch Albom
The Things They Carried, Tim O'Connor
East of Eden, John Steinbeck
Bel Canto, Ann Patchett
The Curious Incident of the Dog at Midnight, Mark Haddon
Book of Illusions, Peter Auster
A Fine Balance, Rohinton Mistry
When They Were Orphans, Kazuo Ishiguro
Five Quarters of the Orange, Joanne Harris
Auntie Mame, Patrick Dennis
Crimson Petal and the White, Michel Faber
The Corrections, Jonathan Franzen
The Virgin Suicides, Jeffrey Eugenides
Sister of My Heart, Chitra Divakaruni
Man and Boy, Tony Parsons

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com