Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The Western Edge

Spain, the Miniseries part 6

For most of my life I’ve lived on the west coast of the US. The year I lived in England, I was in the North West, about a half hour from the coast. My favorite place in Ireland is the coast around Galway, near the Cliffs of Moher. It happens to be on the western edge of the island. I adore Baja California (on the west) and loved exploring the Italian Rivera (also on the west). Prior to coming to Spain, I knew I had a weakness for the western edges of things. Our visit to Spain, and specifically Galicia, was another example of this. There’s something about the western edge of things that I like. It could be because of the whole “frontier” philosophy associated with this direction. Maybe some of the ideology that paired exploration and adventure with all things “west” is passed along in genetic memory, and exists somewhere in my psyche. But I don’t think that’s why. I think it has to do more with the sun. When I am on on east coasts, it seems wrong that the sky over the water is dark as the day ends. It feels better to bid the day adieu as bright orangey light sinks into water.


Whatever the reason, western edges are my favorite. Maybe that is why I loved the Galicia region of Spain best.

Maybe my opinion on East Coasts will change when I move to the MD at the end of the week!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com