Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Boo!

Spain, the Miniseries part 5

I don’t know how I feel about ghosts, but we were in two distinct places on this trip that felt haunted. One night we stayed in a Medieval castle in a town that was still walled-in and cobblestone. The town was in the middle of the country and no cars could drive through the center (to protect the cobblestones). The whole thing felt like a flashback to middle age living. Our castle/hotel had thick stone walls, high open-beamed ceilings, large windows with big swinging wooden shutters, and creaky wooden floors. Our room was on the top floor at the end of a long hallway. The castle/hotel was quiet and the town was completely silent at night. Everything felt really empty. I couldn’t help but think about all the people, lives and events that had passed through those walls prior to us being there. I don’t know if ghosts were there per se, but the place felt haunted by history. And with the quiet isolation and the creaky wood, both KA and I were too afraid to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. It didn’t help that I was reading a book about vmpires in Europe at the time. I went to sleep after KA, and I was too afraid to turn off the TV. I watched the Spanish version of what I think was Dancing with the Stars until I felt distanced enough from any lingering haunting feelings.

A couple of days later, we took a steep, desolate, pin-turn winding drive up over a mountain to visit a small village. Santo Andres de Teixido is nestled into rugged, green cliffs on the north-west corner of the European continent. There was a church there that had been involved in pilgrimages for many years. Prior to that, it had been a Celtic village and our guide book told of some interesting traditions involving potions, an annual orgy and beliefs about reincarnation into reptiles. The place felt desolate, old and steeped in history. The old people who lived there gave us dirty looks as we drove in. The church was dark and empty, and it felt scary. So much that KA and I didn’t even want to walk in. We didn’t feel comfortable in the village in general, and we left as soon as we snapped a couple of pictures and figured out how to get out there (there was a little issue with the map...)
(This picture doesn't necessarily have to do with either of the haunted places, but it is a scary gargoyle.)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger kq said...

I love Europe, but some of those older hotels give me the heebie-jeebies too! I went to Edinburgh, Scotland a few too times. Nothing creepy but then I watched a documentary afterwards about the haunted graveyards: made me glad I didn't stay too long!

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com