Thursday, February 15, 2007

My Crumble Cobbler Concoction

I decided to not go to class last night. There is no way I can complete the course requirements (with my upcoming move) so I figured there was no point in going. I embraced a can't do attitude; I gave in to sloth. Well, actually, I wasn't all that slothful. I decided to bake something in honor of the day. And the motivation to bake crept into a desire to cook. So I cooked a real, mom-like, balanced meal of lemon chicken, roasted sweet potatoes, and broccoli in a balsamic marinade. Then I made a mixed berry crumble. It ended up being more like a mixed berry cobbler because of several errors I made: 1) we didn't have enough flour; 2) I might have mixed the mixture too much. It said to lightly move around the flour with a fork just until moistened. I think I went a little crazy with the stirring. I am going to attribute this to stronger arm muscles (LOL); 3) I used 8 cups of berries but the recipe called for 6. It was still really good.

Which brings me to an observation. A couple of weeks ago I cooked some homemade tomato-y mac-and-cheese for a superbowl shindig. As I was making it, I could not believe the amount of cheese it called for. I'm a BIG fan of cheese, and even I had issue putting that much in. In the end I cut back slightly, used low fat where available, and did not create layers like the recipe called for. Instead of layering I created two separate pans and gave one to the General to take with her to a different superbowl party (thereby bringing cheesy goodness to the masses). When I ate some later that day I was shocked that it wasn't all that cheesy. In fact more cheese would have been good.

Last night, while making my crumble cobbler concoction, I was shocked at the amount of sugar it called for. But I dutifully packed and poured and was surprised in the end when the dessert was the perfect amount of just-right-sweet. These recipe writers really know there stuff.

As the General pointed out, if I think these dishes seem to have a lot of cheese and sugar but don't actually taste too decadent, then what about those things you eat that do? How much cheese and sugar needs to be added to make it too much? I am thinking SCARY amounts.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Y. said...

Ohh, that is scary! I've decided today to really get back on board with WW's. I think I might sign up again online and everything. I'm going to be really, really good. Like back when I was in law school militant good!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

This is unrelated to your current post -- but thanks for the plug for mr. fob! I saw it the other day and showed it around to my friends. I'm so glad you guys came to dinner and had fun with us.

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com