Thursday, May 04, 2006

Wedding China and the Anti-Bride

I have a confession to make. I have decided to take on another TV show. It kind of snuck up on me...and really, I have ABC to blame. They stuck an episode of What About Brian in the Gray's Anatomy time slot. And I watched it. And now I like it. And now I look forward to watching it. Which is a problem because I don't have time to watch it. C'est la vie, n'est-ce pas?

A recent episode featured one of the couples searching for china to include in their wedding gift registry. And I came to this realization: wedding china is dumb. While I do think it's nice to have a more formal set of plates and bowls around for nice occasions, I don't get why it's become this thing couples do when they get married. It's like they do it because that's what they should do. Because that is how it's done. But the whole concept of getting new fancy china that will probably hardly every be used--just because you're getting married--seems to me like something out of the 50's.

Which got me thinking...I can't think of a single wedding tradition that I like*. I don't want any of them at my wedding. No bouquet toss, no borrowed blue garter belt, no cake smashed in my face. It's just not for me. Somewhere between childhood and 27 I became very turned off to these little cliché traditions. And now I'm like the anti-bride. Of course I'm not married or engaged. In fact, I'm not even dating anyone...which brings me to my next little story (see the next post).


*This is all just my opinion on the kind of wedding I one day would like to have. I realize some people like these traditions and will want them at there weddings. And I am in no way trying to insult or criticize anyone else's opinion on what traditions to include or not. If a friend wants to do the something borrowed/something blue thing, I will loan something blue. And if a friend does the bouquet toss, I'll try and catch those flying flowers. And if cake is smashed, I will genuinely smile and

clap encouragingly. I am in full support of anyone else who wants the traditional set-up.

2 Comments:

Blogger Y. said...

Em - Good to have you back and posting! =) Also, I've noticed you've learned how to properly link. Good job all around!!

Also, I am so not big on wedding traditions either. Or weddings for that matters. Or maybe marriages in general. =)

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your blog! You visited mine because of our similar names-- thanks for leaving yours. I look forward to reading in the future!

-nikki c.

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com