Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Pick Me. Choose Me. Love Me.

I want to live in a world that Joss Whedon creates. I want to talk like his characters and interact with other people who talk like that too. Seriously, he is a genius and I love anything he creates.

I am re-watching the Firefly series lately and I forgot how funny the dialogue is, how brilliant the stories are, and how rich the character development is. It's probably one of my top five favorite TV shows of all time.

And following that, I thought I would list my top five TV shows of all time. But it's more challenging to do than I thought. The first three were no-brainers (please note, 66% of the top 3 hail from the great mind of Joss Whedon):

1) Buffy the Vampire Slayer
2) Sex and the City
3) Firefly

The rest are hard to place. Some shows I LOVE because they're on now and I look forward to them a lot. Some shows are not on now, but they're really fantastic. It's hard to weigh something I used to love with something I love now. How do they compare? Only time will tell if current favorites will become all-time favorites. So instead of trying to figure that out and estimate which ones will become classics in my world, here's a list of all those that COULD be added to the list one day. Depending on future episodes and on the competition.

Runner-Ups and Potential List-Makers

  • Rome: A la typical HBO style, fantastic themes, perfect placement of plot tension, and multi-dimensional characters.
  • The Office: GOD it is funny! but an all time favorite?? Not sure
  • America's Next Top Model: I'm not sure a reality show can be included here. But if the amount of enjoyment I get from watching the show is the most important criteria, then this show deserves placement. But it's lacking in all the other things I like in a TV show...like depth.
  • Gray's Anatomy: I enjoy it A LOT. It's funny and it's got attractive people fumbling through life in a hospital backed by a great soundtrack. I love the characters too. But not sure if it can be an all-time favorite yet...Of course, the fact that it's a contender makes me think of my favorite line from Ms Meredith Gray (and by favorite I mean most annoying--It's never too early for sarcasm): "Pick me. Choose me. Love me." Well maybe, Meredith, I will. As long as you stop talking in a constant whine.
  • Invasion: I'm into Sci Fi. Sorry. And this show is cool. Plus, not many sci-fi favorites stay on the air for long. One can't forget Threshold or Point Pleasant...(sigh).

    Honorable Mentions
  • I thought about adding Lost to the runner up list but sometimes it's just annoying. It doesn't give me enough each week. It is a big TV tease.
  • I thought about adding 90210 because it was a long-time favorite when I was younger. But then so was Saved by the Bell and Party of Five. So I don't think any of them can make the cut.
  • I thought about adding Desperate Housewives, because I love how the themes discussed in Mary-Ellis' commentary play out in some capacity for most of the characters each week. But picking this show somehow would feel cliché. And it's good, but it's not like I can't wait to see it each week.
  • I would pick Friends, but again, it feels cliché. I do, however, frequently watch re-run episodes when there is nothing else on. So it rates somewhere.

1 Comments:

Blogger Y. said...

You should check out the website for The Office. They have these HILARIOUS spoof public service announcements. Some of them have aired, but a lot of them haven't. Things like, "Friends don't let friends buy expensive beer." =)

Also, all hail Whedon!

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com