Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Here a Secret, There a Secret

Almost everyone I know is struggling with something these days. I myself have had a hard couple of days (that is in case no one picked up on yesterday's subtle post). But I find that as I grow more calloused, I also become more resilient. 28 years of groping around with this life will do that to a person. And now I feel pretty good about things again. Which is nice.

But in light of how I felt and in light of everyone else's daily challenges, I came across something that I think is beautiful and hopeful, in an unexpected way. It's a blog (and book) that publishes anonymous secrets.

By reading these stranger's secrets, you are letting this unknown person share something of her/himself to you. And what they confess is probably something that touches upon an emotion or an experience that each of us have felt in some capacity at some point. So this unknown person is opening up and sharing a piece of their life by touching a piece of yours. It's a beautiful way to connect and to be reminded of our humanity.

I also find all this secret-divulging hopeful. We all struggle with our own "stuff." We all have secrets. They might all be different but we all share in the experience of it all. And it's nice to be reminded in such a pure way how the space you occupy is tucked in amongst all the space everyone else occupies.

My favorite one is this:

"All my presentable writing has always been about a blind boy who will never be able to read my words."

Check out the blog at: http://postsecret.blogspot.com/

And mail in your secrets, if you so choose! I am. And I think there will be some redemption in the confessing.

2 Comments:

Blogger vitamin g said...

i have to think that blogging in itself is the same thing, jus with sligthly less anonymity. i mean i've started sharing things i thought i'd never share. it's rather liberating feeling able to talk so freely. i've noticed i also do so in the "real world" not just the blogging community.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Y. said...

That's a really good point G! I have to think that's one of the reasons many people blog.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com