Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Russian Dancer and other Annoying Stories

I'm pretty focused on doing well in school right now. Almost obsessively so. When I am at class I want to listen, I want to remember everything I learn, I want to dissect, and I want to kick a**. I'm not squeamish and I love the hands on stuff. Seriously. Bring on the cadavers and the sheep brains and the microscope projects. I'm ready for any of it. And I am not interested in working in groups, in helping people (with their mastery of the subject) or in making very many friends. I did that the first time I was in college. I'm there for one thing and that is to learn so I can advance.

In light of all this, here are some interesting scenarios I have encountered over the last couple of weeks.

1) The Group Test
Our third practical was a group test. Let me repeat. A GROUP TEST. I HATE anything where my grade depends on someone else. My partner is a very sweet person, but she does not have the best visual memory. My first plan of attack was to memorize everything for the two of us. More work for me but it ensured us a good grade. But then the prof said that we were each responsible for knowing all of it and that each of us would be tested individually for half of our total possible score. So...I spent a lot of extra hours in the dissection lab going over the muscles again and again. I'd like to say this was because I wanted to help her learn but in all honesty, it was about my grade.

I am a horrible, horrible person.

2) No Complaints from the Curve Breaker
So I did well on the past six tests. People know that I did well. So now, if I am unsure of something or express a concern for something I am not familiar with, I am brushed off by everyone INCLUDING the professor. "Oh, you'll do fine." "You know everything." "You don't have to worry because you did well before." All that is crap. Just cause I did well doesn't mean that: a) I will always do well, b) I know everything, and c) I don't have to worry. Do people not understand how grades work? An 'A' on a test one does not mean an 'A' in the class if the other tests are not A's also.

3) The Russian Dancer
We have a Russian dancer in our class. She's sweet and nice and has as much drive for this as I do. But I still beat her. On Tuesday night I got to class kind of late. They had just handed back all the tests from last week. The minute I was in there, the Russian was all over me trying to find out my score. Seriously, I hadn't even picked up my test and she had asked me how I did. Then I picked it up and she FOLLOWED ME, asking me how I did. Then she loomed over my shoulder as I looked. Eventually, I snapped at her, "I haven't even had a chance to look at my score yet! Give me a minute!" She said okay and stepped back, for like half a second, and then she asked again. Then I repeated what I had said with more snappiness. She got it this time and sat down. But all through the lecture, she kept looking over at me like she was trying to guess what my score was.

Of course, I didn't mind sharing my grade with her when I realized I beat her. Again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com