Friday, September 30, 2005

Lordess of the Rings

I love rings. They are the one type of jewelry I can wear all the time and never get tired of them. I have certain favorites and go through different ring phases. I also buy them when I travel, and I like to commemorate big or special events with purchases of new items. Well, maybe it's more like I buy rings that I like and rationalize their purchase by making up large events worthy of commemoration (e.g. the "thank-god-I'm-not-in-a-dumb-relationship" ring, the "good-job-on-that-big-project" ring, or the "thank-god-I've-just-survived-X" ring).

Unfortunately, despite my love of rings, I have a tendency to lose the ones I love the most. Sometimes I find them later, sometimes I don't. But here is a brief outline of my on-going saga with my favorite article of jewelry:

Small Silver Garnite Ring: small silver, central garnite stone purchased at a jewelry stand, in the north campus area of UCLA. I loved this ring but it only fit on my ring finger, so I though of it as "reserving the space" until I get married. I eventually lost it by leaving it on the living room end table at the parent's house of a guy named Neil in Cardiff, Wales.

UCLA College Ring, #1: white gold, 3 diamonds asymmetrically angled across the top. I never liked school rings, but my mom wanted to get me one and I fell in love with this one because it didn't look like a school ring. We parted ways when in a mad hung-over dash to catch our train out of Wales, I left it on the bathroom counter of a hostel. Right around the time I lost the garnite ring. Wales sucks.

UCLA College Ring, #2: same design as the original. The original ring was insured, so it wasn't a completely new purchase...this was a birthday surprise from my mother and it mysteriously disappeared one night after a Hollywood Bowl disco extravaganza. Disco sucks.

UCLA College Ring, #3: same design as the original two. Insurance only covered one ring, but I convinced ArtCarved to give me a frequent customer discount. And the benefit of this purchase is that I would get insurance all over again, which meant I could lose the ring one more time without much penalty. I still have this ring.

UCLA College Ring, #2, REVISITED: This ring re-entered my life one Saturday morning while going through boxes of photos and other old crap. This box was positioned below and next to the dresser upon which I kept my jewelry. After the Hollywood bowl night, it must have fallen into this box where it sat until I went digging around in it two years later. So now I have TWO identical UCLA college rings. Now I can lose one of them and still be okay. That's comforting.

Antique Tea-Spoon Ring: It's made from the end of an antique tea-spoon bent into a circle. I bought it at a craft faire in Port Douglas, Australia at Christmas time. I deserved it because a boy was in the process of dumping me and I was about to quit my job. Plus it was Christmas. I deserved a gift! I still have it, still wear it sometimes, but because it was originally a utensil and not meant to be worn, the silver turns my skin green.

Stacked British Silver Ring: Two silver bands, one brushed silver, one polished. The polished silver band has a triangular CZ diamond on it. I bought it at a jewelry store in Durham, England, UK because I had just switched jobs. I deserved a ring to celebrate surviving the process. I still have it and I never take it off.

Citrine Ring: Large, princess cut Citrine stone angled so the edges point in a diamond-like fashion. I bought it at a street faire in Portland, Oregon, 4th of July weekend. I wear it stacked under the stacked silver rings above (I'm a fan of stacking). MS had just dumped me. I was sad. Citrine is cheery. I still have it,and I never take it off.

Follow the Frog Ring, #1: This is a unique large, round silver ring that winds into smaller and smaller concentric circles. I got it in Puerto Rico to commemorate the fact that I loved it there. And also it served as a physical reminder for following life wherever it may lead (follow the frog, an idea which originated in PR). Unfortunately, this ring mysteriously disappeared the night of my birthday party after getting intoxicated and then swimming in the ocean.

"WBF is Dumb" ring: This is one of my newest purchases. I got it yesterday. It is 5 small silver bands in different patterns. It was an impulse buy at Target. Only $5.99! I wear them spread across two fingers--3 on my left ring finger to replace the Frog ring and 2 on my left index finger. I earned it because I'm kicking a** in anatomy, I miss my Frog ring and I think WBF is dumb.

Follow the Frog Ring, #2: Since losing the original on August 6th, I have sought the original incessantly while looking for a replacement. I found neither. Until last night. I went to the campus book store to buy a mall probe and some tissue forceps (kitty dissection night in class!) and there it was. Beckoning to me from a jewelry stand on the LBCC campus.

Alas, my ring collection is complete once again. Of course this could all change depending on where I travel, the boys I meet and how much I drink.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Don't ever give me an irreplaceable ring you want me to keep forever.

3 Comments:

Blogger kq said...

I love rings too!!! I bought a ton while living in London and traveling to Scotland. What is it with Great Britain and rings, I wonder?

At one point I was wearing 7 at one time, but now I can't stand to wear one for the whole day. Your blog has given me new confidence, however. Maybe I should try again!

Eerily enough, I also have a utensil-turned-jewelry piece. Bought it on Notting Hill, it's a fork bent into a bangle bracelet. :)

5:25 PM  
Blogger Follow the Frog said...

my friend KM has one of those too! Odd trend...

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too love rings, I think they can say a lot about a person(must be why mine are cheap and tacky usually!!!),women can look slutty, sexy,graceful,demur or anything else just by wearing rings.Men can look ganster, chav, swarve, rich, sporty, etc. The amount of rings a person wears can also indicate the confidence of that person, as it shows they do not care what others think if they wear them on every finger and both thumbs, or they are shy if they just wear 1 descreet ring.
Anyway that's my thoughts, so anyone with any comments i would love to see them posted here(or on "for the love of rings" blog).
It would also be interesting to see how many rings people actually own in their collections. For example, between my wife and myself, we possess over 200(yes she is a major ring lover,in both ways, nudge,nudge, say no more).
Anyway, talk for long enough, lets hear what you have to say,
Regards, and keep loving
Ring lover xx

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com