Thursday, March 08, 2007

Throw Your (Right) Hand Up

So I did something incredibly unlike me recently. On a whim, I bought myself a diamond ring! I feel it is an incredibly irresponsible thing to do. Especially since I'm about to go to private school for 3 years. But it was so pretty, and I really love it! And then my Mommy told me it was okay because, "[I am] an independent 28 year old woman who can buy [my] own diamonds if [I] want." She also told me I deserve it because I work hard. I am pretty independent, but getting the green light from mom made my foolish purchase feel justified.

It's funny though, I've never really considered myself "into" diamonds and expensive jewelry. I still don't, actually. I mean I will never be one of those women who expects jewelry from my man on holidays, birthdays or anniversaries. All those commercials about how the diamonds stand for the years of your love and you can't really tell your wife you love her unless you buy her the latest trinket....it's stupid. But you know what? The "independent women of the world raise your right hand" ring campaign? The ones that run in Vogue and InStyle? Well, I like that a little bit. Maybe I like it more now because I bought in to it! Regardless, I think this ring (and perhaps one day an engagement/wedding ring) should suffice for my expensive jewelry "collection."

So I first saw the ring while I was in Vegas for BFF's bachlorette. I didn't buy it that weekend because I needed more time to talk myself into it. I made the purchase during the following week over the phone after negotiating the price down further. Last week the jeweler sent out some paperwork to sign and included a return FedEx envelope with preprinted label on it. As I was sealing the envelope I noticed the address label more closely and saw, to some surprise, that the sender of the box had an unusual name:











Yeah, I was kind of shocked at that! Did they think no one would notice? Or was it a joke that wasn't supposed to go out? I imagine most people don't even bother to read that much detail when the label is already complete and ready for shipping. But I did, and I thought it was funny.
Last night, the ring arrived and I was SO excited to wear it! Today I can't stop looking at it. It really does sparkle! Here are some pictures.

This is the picture from the store.












This is a picture of the ring on my finger.



I love surprising myself, and this ring purchase was definitely a surprise. Part of me still thinks it was completely foolish, but part of me doesn't care. Because I'm 28, and I own a diamond ring. And now I can raise my right hand. Thanks Stupid C*nt!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so jealous...

12:24 AM  
Blogger kq said...

It's beautiful!! Did you ask them about the Stupid Cunt label? That's hilarious. And I got a diamond ring from my sister as a "thank you" for helping her with her wedding, so I'm throwing my right hand up with your's!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Virginia Belle said...

holy cow! it's gorgeous!

i have thought about doing the same thing, actually....it's a great advertising campaign! i'm just starting to get to the age where i have some $ and feel independent. at the same time, i have no love life to speak of, and if things continue the same way, i never will.

and dammit, i deserve a diamond.

if i buy it, at least i know i will like it!

dude, what's up with that label??? must be a typo or something....how funny!

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com