Thursday, June 01, 2006

It Shall Be Mine

I have a confession to make. I just bought something I don't need and something I don't have time to do. Here's what happened...

I got off work at 3 today. I had lots to do and was feeling pretty stressed in general (see previous post). But then my plans were cancelled. And then when I got home, I was rather productive rather quickly. I decided that I earned a little break prior to being more productive. I sat down to watch a little TV and snack on a TJ's Tropical Popsicle. I didn't really like the movie I was in the middle of and nothing was on TV. Sure, I could find some mindless entertainment on E! or VH1 or the like, but I wanted to watch something that I REALLY wanted to watch. And then it hit me. It was time. Time to start re-watching the end of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I had only seen seasons 6 and 7 once--when they originally aired several years ago on TV. I wanted to watch them again but only after enough time had passed that I didn't remember them very clearly. And today, my friends, was that day.

Now if only I could find them to rent or buy. I belong to Netflix, which is a great service, but bad for whims and instant gratification. I called my local Blockbuster. They weren't renting it and they were out of stock. She suggested I call the local Tower Records. Again, they were all out. Then I decided to just head out to find it. I knew SOMEONE would be renting or selling it somewhere. And the first place I was going to try was my favorite entertainment store: Barnes and Noble.

I walked in. The man behind the counter asked if I needed any help. I told him what I wanted and he led me right to them. They had every season. AND on top of it, they were 10% off. AND on top of it, they were having a buy 2 DVDs get one free. He kindly informed me that that deal was good for boxed sets too.

I wanted to watch 7. But my favorite season is 5. And season 6 sits right there smack in the middle. I thought for a second about what I should do. Thoughts like "This is a stupid thing to spend my money on right now," and "do I really need all 3 seasons?" But with a deal like that, I could get 3 seasons for the price of two, or $180 worth of shows for $120. Pre tax, but pre 10% discount. I took the plunge.

I shrugged off the warnings of the little voice in my head saying "Stupid impulse buy! Stupid Impulse buy!!!" Also, I knew I had a gift card somewhere in my wallet.

The B&N man rang me up. Turns out I had TWO gift cards. I handed them over and the total, after the gift cards came to a mere $41.

$41 for $180+ worth of good quality TV. One of the best written TV shows ever, in my opinion.

It was clearly fate working it's magic. Season 7 (and 6 and 5) were supposed to be mine
today.

3 Comments:

Blogger HB said...

It sounds like the "Slayer" stars were all in alignment, and we already know that the Whedon world will never leave you wanting! Okay, I'll stop now.

7:56 PM  
Blogger kq said...

that's the best deal of the century! okay, maybe not, but it's still pretty darn close. After you get your fill of Buffy, you NEED to watch Veronica Mars! I have the whole first season on DVD....and it's free. :) You can't pass that up!

10:59 PM  
Blogger Virginia Belle said...

that's awesome! i love it when stuff like that happens.

and i'm with you on the instant gratification movies. that's why i still have a blockbuster card. if i want to watch X, i want to watch X! Now!

i, too, sometimes have to quiet my inner voice that says "impulse buy!" so i feel your pain on that one.

but rarely do i ever regret the impulse buy...

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com