Thursday, March 10, 2005

Why I Don't Sleep Well at Night...

Good morning Blog! I went swimming this morning (part of my big SD marathon X-training program) and passed the 50min by thinking about what I was going to post on here. I would like to post something that is funny, clever and interesting, but I've decided to use today's post instead as an opportunity to vent about some major concerns I'm having. These things are causing me a lot of stress, actually, and I think they've been part of the reason I'm not sleeping very well lately.

The crux of the situation is that I am planning on going back to school in just a little over a year. The program I hope to join has several pre-reqs that I am working towards completing. Some of the pre-reqs are lab courses that meet 2X a week for 3+ hours and regular attendance is crucial. Now for the problem: My job is one that often requires travel, late nights, sales dinners, etc. I do not always get good notice before these events, and it is expected that I am generally available to attend these things. Further, my boss (let's call him TB) likes to think of himself as my mentor. He's VERY Into his career and assumes that I am too. He constantly gives me advice about what to do and lectures me on how I need to "decide if I'm going to be a mommy or a career woman" (I could write a WHOLE lot more on that by itself).

I once mentioned to TB I might take a class at night. His response was "well....that's okay, as long as you'd be able to skip it if we ever needed you for anything." This is very annoying to me because I have been super dedicated during my time here and I always get my work done. Always.

I plan to start my lab course work this summer. The two big problems with this are: (1) It's very hard to even get in these classes (I was 89th on the waiting list last semester even with priority enrollment), and (2) my job--I'm afraid I won't be able to complete the courses while working at M.

So, I can either look for a new job that is more 8-5 and requires no travel, OR I can just wait and hope that I'm able to pass the course with my life as is now. But there's a chance I might not even be able to get into any of the classes, so starting a new job for them alone could be a lot of extra hassle for no reason (I do really like the company I work for right now).

Then...there's the issue of CUBA. A lot of people don't know, but I have a small obsession with the country and culture. it's a long story but I've always wanted to go. CH is going mid-summer. I have the vacation time, but if I get into a class, I probably can't miss that much school. But, it's Cuba and when else will I have a chance to go with a group that includes male, Spanish speakers (those things make me feel extra safe)???

So, I don't know what to do. I am currently looking for other jobs but nothing is working out quite yet. Regardless of what job I get, I plan on quitting next January and taking a few months off before starting school. But all that presents more stress because so much of what I do in that time depends on whether my pre-reqs are done. They need to be though, because I am planning on going to Brazil with KM in January.


(Sigh) Why does work and responsibility have to get in the way of my life??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
I'm a C-list Blogebrity
Technorati Profile
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com